Re: [opensuse] zypper/yast vs. other package managers (was: Philosophical question?)
Liam Proven composed on 2018-06-15 14:28 (UTC+0200):

David C. Rankin wrote:

So is one package manager really superior than another. Should that dictate
your choice? (answer: No) Whether it is RPM, dpkg, apt or pacman or the
various derivatives, they are work well. Just more syntax and different
commands to make friends with.

TBH, having switched from the RPM side of the fence to the DEB side in
2004, I have found APT and DEB to be simpler and significantly more
reliable.

Fedora's implementation, YUM and now DNF, is pretty smoooth -- but the
supplementary tooling, such as the graphical package manager, are very
poor indeed.

I find using apt/deb yum/dnf incomprehensibly difficult compared to zypper. e.g.

zypper se -s irefo lists existing package versions of Firefox*. I only needed to
look at one man page to find that out out.

Which of these man pages shows an equivalent?
apt
apt-cache
apt-cdrom
apt-config
apt-extracttemplates
apt-ftparchive
apt-get
aptitude
aptitude-create-state-bundle
aptitude-curses
apt-key
apt-list-changes
apt-mark
apt-sort-pkgs

dnf only has one invocation in /usr/bin, but
dnf --help | grep -i version
produces no answer to the same question, same as
man dnf

zypper al/rl name
locks in or out (a) package(s), simply.

I found apt-mark can apparently do the same, though I'm not sure it can't be
surreptitiously overridden. I have yet to figure out if dnf's versionlock plugin
has an equivalent. A man page explaining its versionlock plugin has escaped my
detection. I never found one for yum.

zypper mr -d simply disables a repo with 12 characters. Equivalent in Fedora:
dnf config-manager --set-disabled is about 32 or 33. Even easier with openSUSE
can be changing the names of the files in /etc/zypp/repos.d/ using MC, add or
remove a dot or a trailing o, and immediately see the result(s). I suppose I
could do the same somewhere in /etc/dnf, but no, those configs are in /etc/yum*.

zypper in will update an already installed package if an update exists, install
it if it's not already. No such intelligence with dnf: dnf install only works if
the package is not already installed.

zypper: one man page
apt & its derivatives: ??? man pages
dnf & its plugins: ??? man pages

Synaptic is still the best graphical package manager I've
seen on any OS of any form.

I've never found a powerfule yet friendly GUI for apt, including synaptic, or
for yum or for dnf. I guess I'm just spoiled by YaST2's power and UI logic.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/