Re: [opensuse] Leap 15 and rhythmbox
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2018 11:20:18 +0200 (CEST)

On Friday, 2018-06-15 at 05:12 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

Felix Miata wrote:

zypper in rhythmbox wants to install 46 new packages, so I'm not doing that, but

$ WINDOWMANAGER=/usr/bin/fvwm2 startx

This will not work. 99% sure.

For one thing, "WINDOWMANAGER" is ignored on 15.0. For another, I doubt
that startx will work with his other problem (command barely maintained).

Settings in /etc/sysconfig/ are ignored, not Xorg cmdline options.

Startx will not work for his other problem.

WFM in 15.0. In /etc/alternatives:

WFM means WORKS FOR ME (I tried it successfully before writing email to thread).
It might require '# chmod 4711 /usr/bin/Xorg' first, which I already did.

I'm not referring to that... yes, startx will start and seem to work, but not all features of the desktops and programs will work, because permissions will not be set for the seat, for instance. Things like access to sound, usb sticks, cdroms, etc, may fail and require tinkering. And my guess is, is the GDBus.Error error the OP is getting.

Common, startx is deprecated since a decade perhaps. Has it uses, yes, but running a desktop and modern apps is not one of them.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.