Re: [opensuse] Philosophical question?
  • From: Mikhail Ramendik <mr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2018 17:41:56 +0200
On 14 June 2018 at 15:29, Stevens <fred-n-sandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I mean, what is its main claim to fame? The answer to that has changed over
the years but I wonder what it is now. Maybe someone here can make a
compelling case for the use of opensuse instead of any other linux distro.

People have already mentioned YaST. I'll add the online package
catalog - I have found it extremely useful.

And in my view there are two other things:

- If you prefer KDE, this is *the* polished desktop experience. Most
desktop environments have such experiences; for Gnome it's the Red
Hat/Fedora family, for MATE and Cinnamon it's Linux Mint, etc. So for
KDE it's the SUSE family. (BTW can someone tel me the premier distros
for XFCE and LXDE? Or these don't exist?)

- There is a balance to be had between "stable" and "cutting edge" and
OpenSUSE strikes that balance in a sweet point for many users. This,
of course, is a matter of taste, but I personally do find Fedora,
which I use on the work machine, just a little bit too prone to sudden
problems. (Tumbleweed strikes a different balance which is also
optimal for many users; it is an inherently unstable distribution but
has more automated testing than Rawhide. I don't really know how its
balance differs from Debian Unstable, though).

--
Yours, Mikhail Ramendik