Re: [opensuse] Why does software.opensuse.org prompt for Distro Settings -- and then IGNORE them?
On 2018-06-14 02:58, Simon Lees wrote:

On 13/06/18 13:05, Basil Chupin wrote:
On 12/06/18 14:25, Simon Lees wrote:

On 12/06/18 12:05, David C. Rankin wrote:
On 06/11/2018 04:05 PM, John Andersen wrote:
Please file an issue here:
https://github.com/openSUSE/software-o-o/issues/new
so now we are supposted to report bugs to github rather than
bugzilla.opensuse.org?  am I confused or are you confused or do we
have an
unannounced policy change or ....?

Wait... Are we doing another deal with Microsoft that nobody told me
about?
For the past 18 years -- bringing a website or mailing list issue to
this list
has been sufficient, and then Henne or somebody can generally fix it.

Why is that no longer sufficient?

Mainly because 95% or more of openSUSE's developers are not subscribed
to this list, so you can raise all the issues you want here but chances
are the right people to fix them are not on this list so they won't
notice and nothing will happen. The right people do however pay
attention to the emails they get from our bugtrackers so this is
generally the best way to reach them, our bug tracker has well over 1
Million issues in it, so whats one more, it generally takes a developer
30 seconds to read an issue and close it if its a duplicate or invalid
etc. But atleast this way the right people will be looking at the issues.

As for github, all of the openSUSE project's (not just the distro parts)
source code is available in the openSUSE github project
github.com/opensuse this includes the source code for all the websites
along with various tools, it also includes all of SUSE's source code for
any of there code where they are happy to accept 3rd party
contributions. It should be noted that projects like Yast and obs have
there own github project, I wasn't involved in the decision to use
github but i'm guessing at the time it was the most logical choice
partly because most developers already have accounts there.

As is usual around here little attention is paid to what is being
addressed and then people start making comments which take the thread
into Neverland :-(.

There has NEVER been any mention that bugs should be reported to github
until someone called 'agraul' posted that David should file a bug report
on github:

<quote>

 Please file an issue here:
https://github.com/openSUSE/software-o-o/issues/new

</quote>

to which Patrick responded as you see above:

<quote>

so now we are supposted [sic] to report bugs to github rather than
bugzilla.opensuse.org?

</quote>

I am sure I already covered this bit on a reply somewhere in this thread
but the answer is maybe, it depends what your reporting the bug on, in
this case someone from the relevant team asked for it to just be created
on github, had this issue been reported on bugzilla rather then github
that would be fine but someone would have recreated the issue on github.
Just like if you file a bug about a gnome crash in openSUSE's bugzilla
someone will likely then go and file that bug in the gnome bugtracker.

bugzilla.opensuse.org is often just a first point of call for "I don't
know enough to know where this bug should go" which in many ways is what
its designed for, it connects a user with an issue to a maintainer who
can point them in the best direction to get that issue fixed. In this
case that process has been side stepped because someone who knows the
information as to where the best place is has already said the websites
github repo.

Then please add the appropriate info to:

<https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Submitting_bug_reports>

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.