Re: [opensuse] Apparmor service doesnt work (since upgrade?) on leap 15.0
On 13/06/18 10:14, cagsm wrote:
Some test machine, I can not exactly tell if apparmor was working on
42.3 where the machine came from, or even earlier 42.2 before that.

Default install, guess apparmor comes with that. Kde desktop.

Just booted up 15.0 and I observed a red line in the bootup messages
speaking about apparmor.

Apparmor status says:

[sudo] password for root:
● apparmor.service - Load AppArmor profiles
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/apparmor.service; enabled;
vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2018-06-13 10:52:33
CEST; 16min ago
Main PID: 470 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Jun 13 10:52:31 linux apparmor.systemd[470]: Found reference to
variable pid, but is never declared
Jun 13 10:52:31 linux apparmor.systemd[470]: Error:
/etc/apparmor.d/usr.lib.dovecot.imap-login failed to load
Jun 13 10:52:31 linux apparmor.systemd[470]: Found reference to
variable pid, but is never declared
Jun 13 10:52:31 linux apparmor.systemd[470]: Error:
/etc/apparmor.d/usr.lib.dovecot.lmtp failed to load
Jun 13 10:52:31 linux apparmor.systemd[470]: Found reference to
variable pid, but is never declared

there was just an apparmor update I have noticed in zypper ref zypper
up right now, maybe it will fix things, but I dont even know where to
start fixing this: I have never taken any steps towards config files
or settings of apparmor, so on the user side of this, I have never
touched a thing (tm).

What is apparmor for normal users about exactly and how would one
reset it to default, whyever or whenever those defaults changed to
nonworking config, and how would one overcome such situations? Is
apparmor even needed for normal users? I guess it it because suse
distro decided to install it for me.

Any hint? TIA.

One hint, look up apparmor I looked here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AppArmor

Maybe that provides answers to some of your basic questions.  I looked it up as I know little or nothing about what its for other than  as you say its part of the default install. Moreover as I understand the Wikipedia info it is part of the kernel, so unless you tell the installer not to install it is is installed by default.  AFAIK its the same on any distro, Linuxmint includes it I imagine all the other distros do as well. When I have instructed the installer not to install it nothing terrible has happened here but then I just run a single user machine and use it entirely for multimedia and web stuff, including email.  Present openSUSE version is 42.3.

All of which is not meant to be clever its just that your question piqued my curiosity.