[opensuse] Re: Why and wherefore of mirrorbrain
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2018 08:12:23 +0200
Anton wrote:

So, does mirrorbrain somehow figure out bandwidths?  I'd love to know
how!

No, it does not know about bandwidth. :-)

There are many mirror sites.  While pinging then to find 'distance'
may be tedious, it could be automated.

It is already automated, it's just not done by pinging. I'm no expert,
but mirrorbrain looks at AS numbers and routing data to determine
the "closest" mirror for a given client. Mirrors also have various
attributes that affect the selection - packages available, priority,
restrictions such as "this/these countries only".

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (14.2°C)
member, openSUSE Heroes