Re: [opensuse] Leap 15 question #1
On 2018-06-13 01:59, Lew Wolfgang wrote:
Hi Folks,

I've full-installed Leap 15 on a test box in preparation for rolling it out
to the users.  But I've discovered some changes from 42.x that I can't
figure out yet.  I'll ask the questions on at a time for the sake of
simplicity.

Question #1:  how can I get kdm to run on startup rather than sddm?

I've installed kdm, and edited /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager:
DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm",
but sddm runs anyway.

You have to use "update-alternatives" instead. Should be in the release
notes. [...] Yes, point 5.2.

Now, what I don't understand is how, if you installed it fresh, how you
got /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager. It should at least contain a comment
about the setting being superseded. In your position, I would open a bug.

linux-ssd:~/bin # update-alternatives --display default-displaymanager
default-displaymanager - auto mode
link best version is /usr/lib/X11/displaymanagers/lightdm
link currently points to /usr/lib/X11/displaymanagers/lightdm
link default-displaymanager is
/usr/lib/X11/displaymanagers/default-displaymanager
/usr/lib/X11/displaymanagers/console - priority 5
/usr/lib/X11/displaymanagers/lightdm - priority 15
/usr/lib/X11/displaymanagers/xdm - priority 10
linux-ssd:~/bin #

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.