Re: [opensuse] Problem with system suddenly swapping with large amount of ram (seems a memory leak?)
In data domenica 10 giugno 2018 08:09:48 CEST, hai scritto:
On June 8, 2018 6:54:55 AM PDT, stakanov <stakanov@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In data venerdì 8 giugno 2018 15:51:54 CEST, Per Jessen ha scritto:
stakanov wrote:
Since the update to Leap 15, the longer my system runs, the more
memory it consumes. I tried to track this but I do not understand.
Following is the output of the terminal of meminfo and I join also

link with the output (snapshot) of top.

https://paste.opensuse.org/16233536

Just for comparison - my leap15 KDE desktop - not overly active,
browser, gimp, skanlite - runs 185 processes. 4G of memory of which
3.5G used. Yours is running more than twice the number processes.

Note that the system has 8 gb of RAM and should never swap.

With that workload, yeah, it might very well.

Seems to me you have a lot of akonadi stuff running?

akonadi went nuts over the update. I have only two users with kontact /

akonadi running that is mercurio and entropia, where entropia does imap
and
mailinglists and mercurio only email. No fancy stuff. Somewhere in the
update
something went not really as it should have? But it is definitively
some leak
as it grows endlessly if let alone in idle.

Maybe look into akonadictl restart or something.
Also Kontact is far far from ready for prime time in a production
environment.
I tried with akonadictl restart, or with akonadictl stop
I have narrowed down the problem to:
a) akonadi, that grows in size after time goes by (thus it seems to have a
leak?)
b) qtwebkit. Whenever the system behaves oddly then I found a zombi process of
qtwebkit for mercurio, and about 10 instances of qt webkit running.
c) when this happens (also without suspend to disc, it is sufficient to have
the system idle for some time) you have the wlan that ceases to work. Oddly it
says it is active and working but network does not seem to resolve addresses.
I will try now the work around to define a 8.8.8.8 as obligatory dns in nw-
manager. Maybe this can help with the last point.
Currently I am not positively impressed with the quality of this release, I am
honest.
If asked i would advice to stay with 42.3 currently as long as possible.