Re: [opensuse] Mailinglist changes going forward

On 11/06/18 22:14, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 10/06/18 09:08 PM, Simon Lees wrote:
after all its not hard to subscribe to a second list and this
gives users more choice in what emails they receive.

Indeed, and given the power of modern email systems and handling it is not
hard
to set up filters. As others have pointed out, many did that back in the days
when lists carried many times the volume that this one does today.

Personally I consider these meta-discussion to be every bit as important, if
not
more, than the technical Q&A, which might be more appropriate on a
StackExchange
model than a mailing list.

Sorry, Simon, I'm not a reductionist, I'm not obsessive-compulsive. I
consider
the "social niceties' to be the cushion that makes the brutality of computers
and information processing liveable.

Yep i'm well aware of mail filters, I use them extensively I get 10k+
email a month, its very easy to write a filter that puts
opensuse-support@ emails in a support folder and another one that puts
opensuse@ emails into a discussion folder, what is somewhat harder is
creating filters that read a subject line and go this is support or this
is general discussion, especially when threads on this list seem to
regularly wander from being a support topic to a general discussion one.

I like many people enjoy the social niceties of being part of the
openSUSE community, I have made many good friends here and I don't think
that it should stop, its just that many people are social in many
different ways and would rather the social and the support be separated
in terms of mailing lists so they can be part of one and not the other.
On irc which i'm much more familiar with then our support lists we have
always had a very strict rule that the support channel is only for
support and if you want to chat we have a separate chat channel for
those who want to be a part of it, personally I think a similar approach
to these mailing lists makes sense, which is partly why I voted for a
support@ mailing list, for me into the future there is still a question
of naming, in my mind maybe opensuse@ would be better linking to the