Re: [opensuse] Why does software.opensuse.org prompt for Distro Settings -- and then IGNORE them?

On 12/06/18 12:05, David C. Rankin wrote:
On 06/11/2018 04:05 PM, John Andersen wrote:
Please file an issue here:
https://github.com/openSUSE/software-o-o/issues/new
so now we are supposted to report bugs to github rather than
bugzilla.opensuse.org? am I confused or are you confused or do we have an
unannounced policy change or ....?

Well I was gob smacked when someone suggested posting transient errors
in the bug tracker (bugzilla.opensuse.org).

Wait... Are we doing another deal with Microsoft that nobody told me about?
For the past 18 years -- bringing a website or mailing list issue to this list
has been sufficient, and then Henne or somebody can generally fix it.

Why is that no longer sufficient?

Mainly because 95% or more of openSUSE's developers are not subscribed
to this list, so you can raise all the issues you want here but chances
are the right people to fix them are not on this list so they won't
notice and nothing will happen. The right people do however pay
attention to the emails they get from our bugtrackers so this is
generally the best way to reach them, our bug tracker has well over 1
Million issues in it, so whats one more, it generally takes a developer
30 seconds to read an issue and close it if its a duplicate or invalid
etc. But atleast this way the right people will be looking at the issues.

As for github, all of the openSUSE project's (not just the distro parts)
source code is available in the openSUSE github project
github.com/opensuse this includes the source code for all the websites
along with various tools, it also includes all of SUSE's source code for
any of there code where they are happy to accept 3rd party
contributions. It should be noted that projects like Yast and obs have
there own github project, I wasn't involved in the decision to use
github but i'm guessing at the time it was the most logical choice
partly because most developers already have accounts there.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30