Re: [opensuse] /dev/devicemapper on leap 15
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 08:37:11 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2018-06-10 21:13, Per Jessen wrote:
jdd@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Le 10/06/2018 à 16:05, Andrei Borzenkov a écrit :

Clean installation on desktop with SATA controller suddenly ends up
with multipathing being active.

I don't even know what it is :-(

It's usually for storage area networks where a disk may be accessed
via multiple different paths, for redundancy. It has no place in a
default openSUSE install.

You mean a machine accessing a single machine via two different cables
and two chipsets? Also the hard disk has two sata ports?

Typically either with fibre, FoE or iSCSI. One storage host has two
fibre HBAs, each connected to a fibre switch. The client has two
fibres, each connected to a switch. A disk (e.g. an LVM logical
volume) is now available over two separate paths. If an HBA fails in
the storage host, or one of the fibre switches fail or an HBA fails in
the client, there will still be a working path.

Wow.
Makes a lot of sense, but I have not seen it. Not in my pay grade

You can set this up at home. 2nd hand fibre equipment is very cheap,
but it's also easily done with ethernet. (if you want to play with
it).

What device does Linux see then, /dev/what?

You can assign aliases, but otherwise /dev/mapper/<wwid>.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (20.4°C)