Re: [opensuse] Leap 15.0: updates missing from repository?
On 11/06/18 00:22, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 10/06/18 08:12 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
Anton Aylward wrote:

On 09/06/18 01:27 PM, Per Jessen wrote:
The main objective is to minimize download time.
Look up "The Herc and the F-15" under air force jokes.

Why I see zypper is going to download a new kernel I go make a pot of
coffee.
Much depends on mirrors available in or near your location. And your
own downstream link of course.
A kernel is about 50Mb, for me it takes just over a second, from a local
Swiss server. From Germany, 8seconds, from Sweden, 1.2seconds, from
Bulgaria, 38sec.

Oh FOO!
Although I'm paying for a channel many, many times faster than this, the best I
ever get on a long download such as a kernel update using zypper is 630 KiB/s or
so. More typically an average under 550 KiB/s. On smaller downloads or on a
bad day I might be running between 20 and 30 KiB/s.

The observations by JDD and Fraser_Bell are very apropos here.

oh, just done a update on a "quiet sunday"
Retrieving: kernel-macros-4.17.0-2.1.xxx.noarch.rpm ....[done (407.8 KiB/s)]
Well Foo to that performance too.

It looks like that came from
http://ftp2.nluug.nl/os/Linux/distr/opensuse/repositories/Kernel:/stable/standard/noarch/kernel-macros-4.17.0-2.1.g3bb90e7.noarch.rpm
according to the log file.
All the way across the atlantic when there is a host of servers within a few
hundred km of me here in Toronto.
There is something VERY wrong with the algorithm.
A ping gives me
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 108.263/807.891/1331.145/417.512 ms, pipe 2
traceroute shows crossing the Atlantic to London but after that its "* * *" all
the way the limit of 30 hops.

A more local site, Waterloo is just 113km to the west of Toronto.
http://mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 38.311/534.919/1138.478/444.775 ms, pipe 2
Traceroute puts it just 16 hops away, but, sadly, most of that is over Rogers
network :-( That's always going to be the limiting feature in this part of the
world.

Something sucks at mirrorbrain.
Like bricks though a straw.

You probably already know this but when last time I used Ubuntu, before downloading file, it would ping various sites and choose the one which had the fastest ping result. Of course, you had the ability to override this selection and choose (from a list) your own site for the download.

I assume that zypper or Yast doesn't have this feature?

BC

--
"..The times have been
That, when the brains were out,