Re: [opensuse] Leap 15.0: updates missing from repository?
* Fraser_Bell <Fraser_Bell@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [06-10-18 16:28]:
On 06/10/2018 05:16 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
Fraser_Bell wrote:

Hmmm.

Whatever algorithm it uses to determine that, then, is quite faulty.

I doubt it, but it is open source software, you can have a look:

http://mirrorbrain.org/

In Canada, here, mirrorbrain pushes me to a Very Sluggish Mirror way
across on the other side of the continent (I am in BC, it wants me to
load from Far Eastern Canada) which seems to be additionally hampered
by choked routing through Large Canadian Telcos and Cable Companies
(in almost Monopolistic situations).

This, when simply due south in the U.S.A., only a relatively few
kilometres away, is a very fast mirror.

Send a detailed description to admin@o.o and I'll have a look. It might
be that the fast mirror in the US does not want non-US traffic, for
instance.

Thanks for your reply, Per.

Actually, the problem is that Mirrorbrain, in our implementation, looks for
a Mirror within the same country first, and chooses the "fastest" one of
those.

That algorithm, of course, works just fine on your continent, since most of
the countries there are a mere fraction the size of my own Province, much
less my Country.

However, in North America, that is a "faulty" method, IMHO.

Not sure if that can be addressed easily in Mirrorbrain.

What I would like to see is an easy "simple click" method in Yast to pick a
closer mirror or an alternate mirror when the default chosen mirror has a
problem or is otherwise unsuitable.

I would also love to see an additional easy flag or config in zypper to
allow choice of another mirror if the Mirrorbrain-chosen mirror is not
working well.

My current method is to manually test mirrors, then hard-code the "best"
mirror in my repos list.

That works just fine, but is a little more convoluted and is not an easy
thing for Linux or openSUSE newcomers to use.

it is possible to accomplish by listing more than one site in your repo's.

ie:
[Tumbleweed.OSS]
name=openSUSE-Tumbleweed OSS
enabled=1
autorefresh=0
baseurl=http://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/repo/oss/
http://ftp.ussg.iu.edu/linux/opensuse/tumbleweed/repo/oss/
http://distro.ibiblio.org/opensuse/tumbleweed/repo/oss/
http://suse.mobile-central.org/tumbleweed/repo/oss/
http://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/opensuse/tumbleweed/repo/non-oss/
http://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/tumbleweed/repo/oss/
type=rpm-md

sort the basurl's to put the fastest first and decending. iiuc, they will
be accessed first to last until one connects.