Re: [opensuse] Leap 15.0: updates missing from repository?
On 2018-06-10 22:25, Fraser_Bell wrote:
On 06/10/2018 05:16 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
Fraser_Bell wrote:

Hmmm.

Whatever algorithm it uses to determine that, then, is quite faulty.

I doubt it, but it is open source software, you can have a look:

http://mirrorbrain.org/

In Canada, here, mirrorbrain pushes me to a Very Sluggish Mirror way
across on the other side of the continent (I am in BC, it wants me to
load from Far Eastern Canada) which seems to be additionally hampered
by choked routing through Large Canadian Telcos and Cable Companies
(in almost Monopolistic situations).

This, when simply due south in the U.S.A., only a relatively few
kilometres away, is a very fast mirror.

Send a detailed description to admin@o.o and I'll have a look.  It might
be that the fast mirror in the US does not want non-US traffic, for
instance.

Thanks for your reply, Per.

Actually, the problem is that Mirrorbrain, in our implementation, looks
for a Mirror within the same country first, and chooses the "fastest"
one of those.

That algorithm, of course, works just fine on your continent, since most
of the countries there are a mere fraction the size of my own Province,
much less my Country.

However, in North America, that is a "faulty" method, IMHO.

Not sure if that can be addressed easily in Mirrorbrain.

What I would like to see is an easy "simple click" method in Yast to
pick a closer mirror or an alternate mirror when the default chosen
mirror has a problem or is otherwise unsuitable.

A black/preferred list in YaST would work.
But if the decision is made by mirrorbrain and not by our computers, I
do not see how.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.