Re: [opensuse] Leap 15.0: updates missing from repository?
On 10/06/18 08:12 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
Anton Aylward wrote:

On 09/06/18 01:27 PM, Per Jessen wrote:
The main objective is to minimize download time.

Look up "The Herc and the F-15" under air force jokes.

Why I see zypper is going to download a new kernel I go make a pot of
coffee.

Much depends on mirrors available in or near your location. And your
own downstream link of course.
A kernel is about 50Mb, for me it takes just over a second, from a local
Swiss server. From Germany, 8seconds, from Sweden, 1.2seconds, from
Bulgaria, 38sec.

Oh FOO!
Although I'm paying for a channel many, many times faster than this, the best I
ever get on a long download such as a kernel update using zypper is 630 KiB/s or
so. More typically an average under 550 KiB/s. On smaller downloads or on a
bad day I might be running between 20 and 30 KiB/s.

The observations by JDD and Fraser_Bell are very apropos here.

oh, just done a update on a "quiet sunday"
Retrieving: kernel-macros-4.17.0-2.1.xxx.noarch.rpm ....[done (407.8 KiB/s)]
Well Foo to that performance too.

It looks like that came from
http://ftp2.nluug.nl/os/Linux/distr/opensuse/repositories/Kernel:/stable/standard/noarch/kernel-macros-4.17.0-2.1.g3bb90e7.noarch.rpm
according to the log file.
All the way across the atlantic when there is a host of servers within a few
hundred km of me here in Toronto.
There is something VERY wrong with the algorithm.
A ping gives me
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 108.263/807.891/1331.145/417.512 ms, pipe 2
traceroute shows crossing the Atlantic to London but after that its "* * *" all
the way the limit of 30 hops.

A more local site, Waterloo is just 113km to the west of Toronto.
http://mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 38.311/534.919/1138.478/444.775 ms, pipe 2
Traceroute puts it just 16 hops away, but, sadly, most of that is over Rogers
network :-( That's always going to be the limiting feature in this part of the
world.

Something sucks at mirrorbrain.
Like bricks though a straw.