Re: [opensuse] Leap 15.0: updates missing from repository?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2018 14:16:48 +0200
Fraser_Bell wrote:

On 06/09/2018 07:40 AM, Per Jessen wrote:

mirrorbrain selects mirrors based on network proximity and mirror
priority. There is probably also some load-balancing factored in.

Hmmm.

Whatever algorithm it uses to determine that, then, is quite faulty.

I doubt it, but it is open source software, you can have a look:

http://mirrorbrain.org/

In Canada, here, mirrorbrain pushes me to a Very Sluggish Mirror way
across on the other side of the continent (I am in BC, it wants me to
load from Far Eastern Canada) which seems to be additionally hampered
by choked routing through Large Canadian Telcos and Cable Companies
(in almost Monopolistic situations).

This, when simply due south in the U.S.A., only a relatively few
kilometres away, is a very fast mirror.

Send a detailed description to admin@o.o and I'll have a look. It might
be that the fast mirror in the US does not want non-US traffic, for
instance.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (25.9°C)
member, openSUSE Heroes