Re: [opensuse] Adobe Reader no longer works - 15.0
  • From: Matthias Bach <marix@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2018 21:54:37 +0200
Hi,

Am Dienstag, 5. Juni 2018, 03:44:18 CEST schrieb John Andersen:
On 06/04/2018 06:34 PM, James Knott wrote:
On 06/04/2018 09:22 PM, Simon Lees wrote:
On 05/06/18 10:14, James Knott wrote:
Since installing Leap 15.0, I now see Adobe Reader no longer works.

Yep Adobe no longer support it on Linux

It worked fine in 42.3.

Look, if EVEN Adobe doesn't trust their pdf reader, why in gods name would
YOU want to? Okular has made great strides. It even handles most types of
Fill-in-Forms now. Evince is good too.

This is not necessarily about trust. There is plenty of documents one has to
fill out for legal reasons that explicitly don't work on other readers. E.g.
the mandatory safety form teachers in Baden-Württemberg have to fill out when
conducting experiments in class will display nothing but an error message if
opened in Okular.

Kind Regards,
Matthias

P.S.: I _do_ think this is bullshit and needs to be changed. Public
institutions should be forced to keep compatible to open standards and
forbidden lock-in into proprietary applications. But this will not happen
withing a day and right now one can't argue with the fact.

--
Dr. Matthias Bach
www.marix.org

„Der einzige Weg, die Grenzen des Möglichen zu finden, ist ein klein wenig
über diese hinaus in das Unmögliche vorzustoßen.“ - Arthur C. Clarke