Re: [opensuse] zypper dup very busy defragging btrfs, when there is nobtrfs partition...
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2018 10:26:39 +0200
David C. Rankin wrote:

I would have to look further, but it sounds like btrfs doesn't just
rely on a simple kernel module for providing a full interface to all
filesystem parameters, but instead requires the kernel module "plus"
additional tools to be able to manipulate it.

Which is really the same for all filesystems. They all have driver
modules and tool sets. (which contain e.g. mkfs.<filesystem>).

gparted seems to be able to incorporate code to handle most
filesystems on its own, but it looks like it is relying on the
additional tools for btrfs to garner the needed info to do what it
does.

gparted also requies toolset packages for the other filesystems - e.g.
jfsutils, nilfs-utils, reiserfs, udftools, xfsprogs.

What I don't like is that gparted drags along btrfsmaintenance, snapper,
snapper-zypp-plugin, yast2-snapper unless you
specify '--no-recommends'.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (20.1°C)