Re: [opensuse] zypper dup very busy defragging btrfs, when there is nobtrfs partition...
On 08/06/18 05:21 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2018-06-08 23:11, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 08/06/18 10:53 AM, Richard Brown wrote:

If you removed all of them gparted would be rather useless..

You are being quite ridiculous, Richard.
That's like saying removing all the drivers under /lib/modules/*/kernel/fs

Quite obviously you would never do that.
You would install the toolkits that are relevant to the file systems that
you do
use AND ONLY THOSE.

Well, no, the kernel has modules for absolutely everything. It looks if
you have them at run time, not install time.

Just as I could 'zypper rm' the kits for any FS I don't want to use (such as
BtrFS) I can remove the unwanted entries from /lib/modules/*/kernel/fs if I
want. That they *ALL* get dragged in whether I want them or not just further
illustrates the point Rodney and I are trying to make.

I run 'bleachbit' occasionally.
One thing it can do is removed unwanted localizations, language files for
languages I don't use. Even so, there are Dot-desktop files that are bloated
with unused, unwanted language entries that bleachbit can't clean out.
Perhaps a later, more sophisticated version will do that.

And yes, I don't have GParted.
More inadequate design that would bring in more unnecessary bloat.

Why should I use GParted to shuffle partitions back and forth when I can use
the
immensely more flexible and capable LVM?

Because it is a very good partitioner that handles about everytype of
disk. Even LVM!

Again, you are missing the point.
With LVM I don't need any of the partition tools such as GParted.
I use 'pvcreate'.
From the man page:

pvcreate initializes PhysicalVolume for later use by the Logical Volume
Manager (LVM). Each PhysicalVolume can be a disk partition, whole disk, meta
device, or loopback file. For DOS disk partitions, the partition id should
be set to 0x8e using fdisk(8), cfdisk(8), or a equivalent. For whole disk
devices only the partition table must be erased, which will effectively destroy
all data on that disk.

Note that: "... whole disk..." and "... partition table must be erased..."

And yes, you can do the same with BtrFS, the "One FileSystem To Rule Them All",
and, as I understand it, ZFS. "It is not necessary nor recommended to partition
the drives before creating the zfs filesystem."

All in all, the way computing is going, the old concept of partitioning a drive
in order to mount a file system is falling by the wayside.

I suspect that before long we will see a Linux distribution that doesn't have
the extFS built in to the distributed kernel. It is possible that Leap 18
differentiates from Redhat & Fedora be dropping the compiled in ext4 and using
a compiled in BtrFS, to orient itself more to the needs of 'commercial'
customers. At that point it may also presume to do away with partitioning as we
are doing it right now.

You don't like it, don't install it. But then, you have yast and its
partitioner, which also probably requires all supported filesystem type
tools.

I don't like, I don't install it and I run YaST, occasionally, quite happily,,
without it.