Re: [opensuse] zypper dup very busy defragging btrfs, when there is nobtrfs partition...
On 06/08/2018 08:52 AM, Rodney Baker wrote:
Personally, I don't have btrfs partitions, I don't want btrfs partitions and
never, ever intend to install btrfs on any hardware that I am responsible
for,
so I'd rather not have btrfsprogs installed either, but that's just personal
preference - I like to be able uninstall unnecessary crud and keep only
what's
really needed.

That reduces the size of updates, too - no need to download 100's of MB of
stuff for packages that are never used. Not everyone has big pipes to the
internet. Yes, I know btrfsprogs is not that big, but all the little bits add
up. I'd much rather have recommends than hard dependencies if possible.

What was the original Linux philosophy? (Oh, yes, I remember...)

Many small tools doing a single job -- and doing it well.

The argument for Gparted and the btrfs addons -- "it's in the kernel", the
argument against "like rodney said -- never ever ever.."

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.