Re: [opensuse] zypper dup very busy defragging btrfs, when there is nobtrfs partition...
On 08/06/18 06:18 AM, Peter Suetterlin wrote:
Anton Aylward wrote:

On 07/06/18 10:43 AM, Per Jessen wrote:

probably to understand that filesystem?

If that is the case and that is hard wired into GParted then I think there
is a
bug in the architecture of the modularity of GParted. This my be sufficient
but
it it is not necessary.

TBH, I would really be pissed off if I installed GParted, try to run it on my
system - only to get (at best) an info box telling me 'Oh, for *this* to work
you also have to install <bla>....'

GParted is a toolbox, and I don't want to buy every wrench in that box
separate. Because the moment you need it will be the one the shop is closed
(i.e., you're not online to get that package) ....

I don't think that will happen, certainly not if you use Yast or Zypper to
install GParted.
As far as I can see looking at the package spec, there are mandated
dependencies. When you install GParted using YastZypper it will drag in those
other "wrenches" whether you like it or not, whether you use those file systems
or not.

THAT is what I object to.
If the installer was smart enough to recognise what file systems ytou did have
configured and brought those "wrenches" in, that another matter.

If you start using another file system then I would expect that in order to
administer it you would bring in the necessary toolbox to support it, and that
includes what GParted would see the wrenches now needed.

Surely the RPM system has this capability? Surely dependencies aren't an all or
nothing matter?

I do see your point about not always being online, but then again, wearing my
sysadmin hat, I can't see starting to use a new type of FS without the
supporting tools to manage it. And I don't see why things I'm never going to
use are forced upon me.

What scares me is that logical consequence of mandating stuff like this, even if
it is never going to be used, is that it is going to be simpler to just load
everything in all the repositories that you have configured, regardless.