Re: [opensuse] Yet another Leap15.0 woe: upgrading 42.3 with squid installed as ftp proxy amongst others derails ftp proxy capability bein on Leap 15.0
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2018 13:30:29 +0200
cagsm wrote:

On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 7:46 AM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
You feed ftp requests through squid ? I guess it never occurred to
me :-)

well have been using squid-cache for a very long time over the suse
releases, for smallish lan networks and mainly windows clients.

We also run squid, just not for ftp. There is so little ftp traffic, I
doubt if any effect would be measureable. Anyeway, irrelevant.

situation is: 42.3 upgraded to 15.0
some software vendor used on the lan, hands out some downloads via
ftp. i clicked the download from a firefox webbrowser, on a windows
now that leap 15 upgraded.

the ftp download of multiple hundreds of megabytes, briefly started
and managed to grab sometimes 1kbyte sometimes 18kbytes sometimes no
kbytes at all showing only a stall in firefox download window.

Okay. So ftp via squid (on leap15) is now slow tending towards not
working. squid on leap42.3 was 3.5.21, squid on leap15 is 4.0.23. That
appears to be a major jump, but I'm not really familiar with the squid
release numbering.

when i removed the proxy settings on windows, the firefox would
connect directly. the leap 15 is also the nat router. 42.3 was simply
with susefirewall2, leap 15 is with firewalld i guess. havent messed
with any of it.

A firewall problem is easily eliminated - stop the firewall, does that
improve on the ftp download?

I think leap15 comes with a susefirewall-to-firewalld migration script,
did you go through that step?

so now i am unsure where the problem would be here, in squid cache, or
some nat or firewall parts, or nat helpers for ftp? passsive mode pasv
rings some bells from history inet times. but i had never problems
when being on 42.3 before on those clients and in that network.

also other stuff surfing via squid works just fine, http, https even
with 15 ;)

I think you need the ftp connection tracker module, check if it is
loaded. If not, try loading it to see if that improves the situation.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (22.6°C)