[opensuse] Re: zypper dup very busy defragging btrfs, when there is nobtrfs partition...
On 06/07/2018 02:37 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
Hi,

zypper dup of one 42.3 system to 15.0 on a VBox guest.

After this question:

1904 packages to upgrade, 607 to downgrade, 762 new, 291 to remove, 8 to
change vendor, 8 to change arch.
Overall download size: 1.97 GiB. Already cached: 0 B. After the operation,
additional 1.3 GiB will be used.
Continue? [y/n/...? shows all options] (y):
Do you agree with the terms of the license? [yes/no] (no): yes

The system gets busy for minutes with snapper.py, and later with
btrfs-defrag-pl, but there are no btrfs partitions at all:

lsblk --output NAME,KNAME,RA,RM,RO,SIZE,TYPE,FSTYPE,LABEL,

NAME KNAME RA RM RO SIZE TYPE FSTYPE LABEL
sda sda 512 0 0 20G disk
├─sda1 sda1 512 0 0 7M part
├─sda2 sda2 512 0 0 4G part swap swap_1
├─sda3 sda3 512 0 0 10G part ext4 Main
└─sda4 sda4 512 0 0 6G part xfs Home
sdb sdb 512 0 0 20G disk

├─sdb1 sdb1 512 0 0 4G part swap swap_2
├─sdb2 sdb2 512 0 0 12G part ext4 Usr
└─sdb3 sdb3 512 0 0 4G part crypto_LUKS
└─cr_sdb3 dm-0 512 0 0 4G crypt xfs
sdc sdc 512 0 0 20G disk
└─sdc1 sdc1 512 0 0 4.9G part reiserfs Reiserfs

I can understand testing for btrfs then exiting, but it takes minutes at 100%
CPU.

I'm not sure if any of the following ways is correct, but

* on one of my systems, I have removed it via:

$ zypper rm btrfsmaintenance && zypper al btrfsmaintenance

* and on another system, the script exists pretty quick because of
the setting in sysconfig:

$ grep BTRFS_DEFRAG_PATHS /etc/sysconfig/btrfsmaintenance
BTRFS_DEFRAG_PATHS=""

* I think a third possibility could be (likewise for snapper-boot):

$ systemctl disable btrfs-defrag.service

Have a nice day,
Berny