Re: [opensuse] Leap 15.0 woes -- fresh install
On Tue, 05 Jun 2018, Per Jessen wrote:
Michael Hamilton wrote:

On Tue, 05 Jun 2018, Per Jessen wrote:
No, I don't think so.  It doesn't do ipv6 multicast either.  The
reasons for using chrony are mostly to do with security, I believe.
In a closed environment with a local reference clock I don't think
chrony is the right thing.

In the past I've used chrony for machines that are only intermittently
online. Ntpd didn't copy too well when the offline clocks drifted too
far from the
reference clock. When connectivity is restored, chrony is able to
smoothly bring the clocks back into sync.
So chrony would also be a good default if the connectivity of the box
is unknown.

s/unknown/unreliable/ ?

Yes, I believe that is one significant advantage of chrony.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (17.7°C)

Sorry I should have been clearer - I meant that the reliability of the link
is unknown to the installer. It seems safer to have the installer assume
the worst in this instance. I guess a well annotated tick box in the installer
would be another possible solution.