Re: [opensuse] Brother DCP7040 alternative solution in Leap 15.0 (was: Leap 15.0 woes -- fresh install)
Trying to get this printer working became too frustrating, so I went
looking for alternative solutions. It didn't take too long to find one
at http://www.openprinting.org/drivers -- the brlasers driver package
(rpm package printer-driver-brlaser included in Leap 15.0 distribution)
contains at least 2 drivers that I have now verified to work with the
DCP7040.
The drivers in the package are written for 4 different printers, but I
have verified the DCP1510 and DCP7030 drivers work acceptably well with
the 7040.

For anyone with this printer choosing to go this route, selecting these
drivers in Yast is a little cumbersome; it is probably far easier to
make the selection in the CUPS web interface -- but remember, when
prompted, you will need to log into CUPS as /root/ and not as your user
account.

There are quite a few alternatives also available in Yast itself, for
example several of the gutenberg drivers. These are a lot easier to
install on this printer, but I didn't try them. Perhaps I'll test them
out sometime (or maybe not).

Thanks to all for all the help, and sorry for the short-tempered opening
post of this thread.