Re: [opensuse] Adobe Reader no longer works - 15.0
  • From: Peter Suetterlin <pit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2018 12:04:18 +0100
Per Jessen wrote:
Liam Proven wrote:

I tried (at length) but whatever I did I couldn't get it working on
Tumbleweed. I use it with no problems on Ubuntu.

The latter is very interesting - it seems to suggest it might be
possible to get acrobat to work on leap15 too?

OK, I got curious. So I grabbed one of the acroread-for-Tumbleweed packages
(from home:Ximi1970:openSUSE:Extra) and installed it. It wanted some
ISO8859-1.so which it seems it didn't find as a provide (but there is one from
the glibc-locale package). I installed 'breaking some of the dependencies'.

Running it failed, it complained that it cannot create files in my home
directory. Realizing it is actually a 32-bit executable (although the package
is x86_64) I got suspicious that it might have to do with the XFS filesystem
of home:
Several application (mostly some games) have issues with XFS on large
partitions (larger than 1.9T IIRC) and die with such stupid errors.
So I moved ~/.adobe to /tmp and put a link in my $HOME instead.

And wonder o wonder, it just runs....

I don't have a Leap 15 aroung to test there.