Re: [opensuse] Leap 15.0 woes -- fresh install
On 2018-06-04 22:38, David C. Rankin wrote:
On 06/04/2018 07:47 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
Yeah, I've been caught a few times like this. When did this start,
instead of just tab-completing with all and any available files? Is it
customisable?
Yes.

See /usr/share/bash-completion/*, and in this case,
"/usr/share/bash-completion/completions/tar". Once bash knows that the
command is "tar" it applies that configuration, and only looks for tar
files.

So much for tab-completion just working...

It seems to me it would make a whole lot more sense just to default to
traditional "all" tab-completion. Then if some power-user wants to tweak the
tab-completion to his liking, the feature is there.

That would seem to make more sense than defaulting to some custom
tab-completion config that doesn't actually do tab-completion unless you have
the DOS type extension right.

/I/ do use extension on my file names. It helps. :-)

And in the case of tab completion, it would be impossible to do it
without them, analysing files.

Many Linux tools do use extensions, specially file browsers. Even
Midnight Commander.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.