Re: [opensuse] Leap 15.0 woes -- fresh install
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2018 18:54:33 +0200
Darryl Gregorash wrote:

On 2018-06-03 11:32 PM, Per Jessen wrote:
Darryl Gregorash wrote:

I'll try to be polite for this ;)

why do I have to run chrony? why can I not use a decent NTP client,
and be able to configure it in Yast?
You don't have to, just deselect chrony and select ntp, but you'll
have to configure your ntp manually. I don't know the reasoning for
the switch to Chrony. I'm also sticking to ntp.

Chrony is quick and dirty, emphasis on the dirty. We should at least
have the option of selecting NTP, and being able to configure it in
Yast.

I don't mind having to configure ntp myself, it's not a big deal. I can
understand the YaST team not wanting to spend the effort on maintaining
two different sets of code.

might not be able to configure/use NTP to its maximum benefit. For
example, can chrony connect to a local clock, eg. GPS? I don't recall
that it can.

No, I don't think so. It doesn't do ipv6 multicast either. The reasons
for using chrony are mostly to do with security, I believe. In a
closed environment with a local reference clock I don't think chrony is
the right thing.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (19.1°C)