Re: [opensuse] how to enable display power saving on virtual consoles
On 06/03/2018 09:37 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
On 06/03/2018 07:15 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
Uh, it works on some machines, not all. I wonder if it might be
dependent on the graphics driver.
It shouldn't be, IIRC we are talking vesafb by default. Even when
using one of the extended resolutions for the console. I know the X
side will depend on the graphics card and EDID monitor info, but as
long as the card does vesa, then the console frame-buffer shouldn't
care.
I see it working on HP Proliants with ATI Rage XL, but not on Supermicro
boards with XGI Z7/Z9.

Strange, I have 2 older SuperMicro boards (one dual-quad-core Opteron, one
quad-quad-core Opetron). Both successfully blank and powerdown.

They do have the radeon graphics, e.g.

fb: switching to radeondrmfb from VESA VGA
Supports vblank timestamp caching Rev 2 (21.10.2013).
Driver supports precise vblank timestamp query.
radeon: irq initialized.

Check toward the end of dmesg and see what the non-blank/poweroff hardware is
reporting.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.