Re: [opensuse] leap15 - how do I enable display power saving ?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2018 12:18:44 +0200
David C. Rankin wrote:

On 05/25/2018 03:29 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
Per Jessen wrote:

Per Jessen wrote:

On Leap15.0 (HP L1950, xgi z7/z9, via kvm) I'm trying out the
following:

/etc/systemd/system/getty@.service.d/powersave.conf :

[Service]
ExecStartPost=/usr/bin/setterm -powersave on -blank 2 -powerdown 5

When a new console is started (ctrl-fx), I got this:

setterm[1510]: setterm: cannot (un)set powersave mode: Inappropriate
ioctl for device

I changed to this:

# /etc/systemd/system/getty@.service.d/powersave.conf
[Service]
Environment=TERM=linux
ExecStartPost=/usr/bin/setterm -powersave on -blank 2 -powerdown 5
/dev/%I

but I still get that message. I'm going to go see what Google says
about it.

I never found out much about it. Apart from the 'powersave' on, the
above works fine.

The problem is the default was stripped and this is yet another
"feature" that was apparently turned over to systemd -- the only
problem is nobody ever implemented a service for consoleblank so all
monitors not under X just remain on forever (so much for energy
conservation...)

To fix it we need a service file for console blanking. (we need a
package, but..), you can create a custom service, e.g.

That's a little over-engineered, I think. My 3-line drop-in achieves
the same:

# /etc/systemd/system/getty@.service.d/powersave.conf
[Service]
Environment=TERM=linux
ExecStartPost=/usr/bin/setterm -blank 2 -powerdown 5 /dev/%I

I'll have to see if any of those other parameters make any difference
wrt "setterm: cannot (un)set powersave mode: Inappropriate ioctl for
device".

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (22.0°C)