Re: [opensuse] Idiot Question about Btrfs
On 2018-06-02 00:18, Knurpht @ openSUSE wrote:
Op zaterdag 26 mei 2018 08:27:20 CEST schreef jdd@xxxxxxxxx:
Le 26/05/2018 à 07:38, Robin Klitscher a écrit :
For historical reasons my longstanding practice has been to keep two,
sometimes three

(...)

I use a similar system

So, what are the implications, if any, of installing Leap 15 using its
default Btrfs

the main problem in this situation with BTRFS is that it have to get at
least x3 or x4 times the ext4 one, simply because some updates are very
different from the original system and snapshots uses much room. This
may need as much as 100Gb for /. I presently have only 30Gb and was
recently hit by the "no more room" error - though t's not the first time
and now I can fix it.

this is not a problem per se when 2Tb disks are easy to find, but in our
organization, it's not always easy to enlarge the previous ext4 partition

100 GB is overkill. 50 GB is enough, IME.

My rule of thumb is at least three times as much as "/" has in use. As
mine has 66 GB now, I would need at least 198 GB btrfs root partition. I
don't see 100 GB as overkill for typical user. :-}

And planing for the future, as repartitioning an existing hard disk is a
chore, I would make that even bigger. Me, I would allocate 500 GB on a 4
TB rotating rust disk.

Once upon a time, I thought that a 200 MB /boot partition was ample
enough. It wasn't, after some years...

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.