Re: [opensuse] Friday quiz - ping: socket: Operation not permitted
On 2018-06-01 15:36, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
On Fri, Jun 1, 2018 at 4:33 PM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Andrei Borzenkov wrote:

On Fri, Jun 1, 2018 at 4:28 PM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Andrei Borzenkov wrote:

On Fri, Jun 1, 2018 at 3:34 PM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I would expect ping to be setuid, yes.

Why? None of default permissions file shipped with openSUSE makes ping
SUID root.

Doesn't ping need a raw socket to do an ICMP?

That's exactly what capability cap_net_raw allows.

Ah right. So when file capabilities don't work on NFS, I'd have to make it
setuid or use it as root?

Exactly.

I'm interested, I don't know what these "capabilities" are.

Recently I wrote an utility for myself that needs to ping the router,
and fails unless it is run as root. Is there some other way, then?

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.