Re: swapping vs paging (was "Re: [opensuse] Get an SSD ...")
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2017 22:40:19 +0100 (CET)

On Thursday, 2017-11-30 at 16:13 -0500, James Knott wrote:
On 30/11/17 07:30 AM, jdd@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Le 30/11/2017 à 11:08, David T-G a écrit :

the write nomenclature. It's either running or not, and whether it's
"swapped out" or "paged out" in the latter case is immaterial to the
unwashed masses.

yes :-)

I used to use "paging" for ram

Anyone here remember overlays?

I do. I used then with Borland Pascal. Borland C also had them, I think.

Many years ago, I used to work on Data
General Nova computers. They had 8 or 16 KB of memory and head per
track disks. The first 20 tracks, IIRC, of the disk was reserved for
overlays, which were blocks of code that could be quickly loaded as
needed. There was even a write protect switch for those overlay tracks.

Ah, then, that's different.

There was an exe file and an .ovl file, IIRC the name. The program would, under its own control, load sections of itself as needed. I could control the memory size of that area (for code) and some other size, some ovl size akin to swapiness control. Too long ago to remember the details.

It was fantastic when the RAM was limited to 640 KiB!

Another posibility that I used (in C) was to dump almost the entire program that was running to a file on disk (or perhaps on extended/expanded memory if you had it), except for a small stub that had to be at the start of the program memory image, and then load a second program. We could transfer data from loader to child using another data file.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.

< Previous Next >