Re: [opensuse] How does one setup mythtv?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2017 20:19:43 +0100 (CET)

On Thursday, 2017-11-30 at 18:28 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:

Carlos E. R. wrote:
On Thursday, 2017-11-30 at 16:41 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:

Right, the database got populated.

MySQL time zone support is missing. Please install it and try
again. How on earth do I do that?

https://mariadb.com/kb/en/library/mysql_tzinfo_to_sql/

The script is in the mariadb-tools package.

That package was already installed.

Now what? The backend refuses to start with that error. Where is the
hammer?

Well, follow the instructions from the link above to populate the
necessary zoneinfo table(s).

There are no instructions on how to setup the database. The instructions are:

<https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Configuring_MythTV>

«Once the software has been installed, MythTV must be configured before you can use it. It needs to know what TV tuners you will use, where to store recordings and other files, how you will be using it.

This guide assumes you have already installed MythTV, MySQL, created the MySQL user id and set up your backend to automatically start. If you used a Mythbuntu or a package from the Mythbuntu PPA these have already been done.»

Note: "assumes you have already installed MySQL, created the
MySQL user id and set up your backend to automatically start.

How on earth would I do that if they don't explain how to do that?

Create MySQL user id. How?

Set the backend to start automatically. Well, it refuses, it fails with cryptic errors.

Those instructions assume that I am an MySQL expert. I am not. I need handholding. :-(

Ah, you mean the instructions on the mariadb site? Wow. :-(

You run the script 'mysql_tzinfo_to_sql" which will generate the
necessary sql, then pipe that into the mysql client:

mysql_tzinfo_to_sql /usr/share/zoneinfo | mysql -u root -p mysql

How was I supposed to know that? I have never done such a thing.

Well, it asks for a password. Which one?

I have not defined any password.

Isengard:~ # mysql_tzinfo_to_sql /usr/share/zoneinfo | mysql -u root -p mysql
Enter password:
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
Isengard:~ #

Notice: I have not setup mariadb AT ALL. I do nothing with it. Anything I should do with it, the mythtv people should explain in detail :-(

I did setup mysql once, a decade or two ago. I don't remember what I did.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.