Re: [opensuse] consistently unable to produce HDMI sound
* Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> [11-30-17 06:22]:
42.2 and 42.3
3 different PCs
2 with HD5450 ATI gfxcards, 1 with GT218 NVidia gfxcard
Onboard audio disabled in BIOS on all 3 PCS
Onboard audio via green jack & speakers worked until I disabled in BIOS in
favor
of using HDMI.
With the ATI cards, before disabling onboard audio I tried using YaST2 to swap
the two sound devices to make HDMI the preferred, to no avail. With the
NVidia,
YaST2 lists two sound devices even with motherboard audio disabled, and fails
configure the unidentified one.

Outputs from alsa-info.sh, aplay -v & more:
http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/Sound/alsa-info-big31-s423-NVhdmiOnly-0out.txt
http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/Sound/alsa-info-fi965-s422-ATIhdmiOnly-0out.txt
http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/Sound/alsa-info-p5bse-s422-ATIhdmiOnly-0out.txt
http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/Sound/alsa-info-p5bse-s423-ATIhdmiOnly-0out.txt

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Audio_troubleshooting hasn't helped. Can someone
recommend a better HOWTO, or spot what I'm missing or need to do?

I too was unable to utilize sound on my 2nd display, hdmi, tv. I opened
pavucontrol and selected proper sound source and increased volume. and it
worked, but using firefox on some sites, new sound ?instances? are opened
at times, probably during/after a pause or repositioning in video stream.
this has a tendence to set the volume to a different level. other than
that, works fine.