Re: [opensuse] Get an SSD just for swap?
On 30/11/17 03:14, Carlos E. R. wrote:

On Thursday, 2017-11-30 at 00:21 -0000, Wol's lists wrote:

On 29/11/17 23:58, Carlos E. R. wrote:
When I used Windows 3 (call it swap or whatever, does not matter), of
course I tried to use more than 2x ram. I had ample disk space, what
I did
not have was ram. Windows said, AFAIK, fine, but I will nevertheless
not
use more than 2x. I can't.

Sorry. It DOES matter. Or do you want to live in a humpty-dumpty world
where people can't understand each other despite everyone using the
same words?

Swap is not page. Swapping is a completely different technique from
paging.

Okay, if you just mean "transferring stuff to disk to free up ram",
then there is no superficial difference between the two. But now you
know the difference, *please* don't use the wrong word.

They may do the same job, but Linux and Windows use two completely
different techniques, with different names, and using the wrong word
will confuse people - including yourself - and could easily cause
problems if it's important enough to make a difference.

It doesn't matter AT ALL.

YES, it is the same thing, different names, that's all.

See Anton's definition of swapping - the COMPLETE process gets dumped to
disk.

As I understand paging, PART of a process gets pushed aside to make room.

What DIFFERENCE it makes, I have no idea, but the underlying techniques
are fundamentally different.

Cheers,
Wol