Re: [opensuse] Get an SSD just for swap?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2017 01:02:42 +0100 (CET)

On Wednesday, 2017-11-29 at 15:57 -0000, Mikhail Ramendik wrote:
On 28 November 2017 at 15:11, Paul Groves <paul.groves.787@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Get an SSD for your root partition. Use the full disk as root and set a swap
file instead of a swap partition. This is the default behavior in a lot of
distros now if a root partition is not specified. The default swap file size
is normally 2.1GB.

Thanks, but no need to change swap quite that often. LVM will do me
just fine for the occasional change.

on my PC I have a 128GB Samsung evo SSD for /
and a 1TB WD black Hard Disk for /home

Sounds fine, except with all of / on an HDD, you don't get the SSD
advantage for builds etc? Or you just don't have those?

I finally ordered the 250Gb SSD (caught last hours of sale on Amazon
for the Crucial, thanks jdd for pointing that one out). I expect to do
40Gb / , 20 Gb swap, the rest /home, and symlink Downloads onto the
HDD.

You could do the same for Documents and Music, Video, etc.

Speaking of this, could anyone tell me where Leap keeps its RPM cache?
I'd like to symlink that out onto the HDD as well. (This should be a
new thread but I'm lazy so perhaps someone knows on this one :) )

Do not bother.

In fact, doing so will slow down your updates and queries.

It is /var/lib/rpm/, but it is about to change to somewhere under /usr that I forgot.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.