Re: [opensuse] Get an SSD just for swap?
  • From: Mikhail Ramendik <mr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2017 23:09:42 +0000
On 29 November 2017 at 19:56, Paul Groves <paul.groves.787@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The only bottleneck I cam across was Virtualbox VMs being in /home by
default so I made a directory on the SSD and symlinked it to my home
directory.

I wonder - where in the tree is a good place for this stuff? you
obviously had to put this on the root partition, so where under root?

For partitions that are not on my main drive but on another drive that
is permanently installed, I tend to use /vol - is this a good idea?
For example, /vol/oldhome for what was previously /home on an older
drive . I'll need to do this again for the HDD when I get the system
working on the SSD.

Another question - if I use the SSD for both / and /home, perhaps I
should mount /var as a separate partition and put that on the HDD?
This would apparently cover the RPM cache, but is there something in
/var that might impact speed?

--
Yours, Mikhail Ramendik