"systemctl start/stop" versus "systemctl isolate" Re: [opensuse] systemctl stop graphical.target
Hi,

"systemctl start" starts a target or service

"systemctl stop" stops a target or service

"systemctl isolate" only works with targets that CAN be isolated, i.e.
that are something akin to a runlevel. The four major ones
emergency.target, rescue.target, multi-user.target and graphical.target
are such targets, and therefor should be reached by isolating them, not
just starting them.

What "isolate" does is comparable to switching runlevels. It checks the
dependecies of the given target, and STOPS everything that is not needed
anymore, and STARTS everything that is needed but not running.

Hope that helps a bit.

Cheers
MH