Re: [opensuse] systemctl stop graphical.target
On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 17:32:58 -0500
Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dave Howorth composed on 2017-11-28 21:46 (UTC):

On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 13:28:34 -0500 Felix Miata wrote:

Richmond composed on 2017-11-28 18:22 (UTC):

Ricmond doesn't seem to be having much luck with his question.
I can't answer it myself but I can see some difficulties with the
proposed answers:

If I can start X with:

systemctl start graphical.target

should I not also be able to stop it again with:

systemctl stop graphical.target ?

I have found this leaves the system unusable with no virtual
console or graphical interface, so I have to reboot.

As it was with runlevels, where one ended X with 'init 3' or
'telinit 3', in systemd one switches the "target", thus:
'systemctl isolate multi-user.target'. 'init 3' is said to be an
alias to 'systemctl isolate multi-user.target', and to switch back
to X, 'systemctl isolate graphical.target', or 'init 5'.

If 'stopping' is done by 'systemctl isolate multi-user.target', why
is 'starting' done by 'systemctl isolate graphical.target'?

i.e why the difference in the target between starting and
stopping?

Because it's systemd we're dealing with, not sysvinit. Systemd
"runlevel" switching requires adopting some *other* target (via
isolate), and deactivation of all incompatible targets. Having no
target active (isolated?) is not allowed. In systemd language,
isolate approximately equates to start some "target" plus stop other
target.

Thanks for the explanation, Felix. I'm still curious why systemctl
start graphical.target works then?

Personally, I'm with carlos, if he's correct. Just remember init 3 and
init 5!