Re: [opensuse] systemctl stop graphical.target
Dave Howorth composed on 2017-11-28 21:46 (UTC):

On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 13:28:34 -0500 Felix Miata wrote:

Richmond composed on 2017-11-28 18:22 (UTC):

Ricmond doesn't seem to be having much luck with his question.
I can't answer it myself but I can see some difficulties with the
proposed answers:

If I can start X with:

systemctl start graphical.target

should I not also be able to stop it again with:

systemctl stop graphical.target ?

I have found this leaves the system unusable with no virtual
console or graphical interface, so I have to reboot.

As it was with runlevels, where one ended X with 'init 3' or 'telinit
3', in systemd one switches the "target", thus: 'systemctl isolate
multi-user.target'. 'init 3' is said to be an alias to 'systemctl
isolate multi-user.target', and to switch back to X, 'systemctl
isolate graphical.target', or 'init 5'.

If 'stopping' is done by 'systemctl isolate multi-user.target', why is
'starting' done by 'systemctl isolate graphical.target'?

i.e why the difference in the target between starting and stopping?

Because it's systemd we're dealing with, not sysvinit. Systemd "runlevel"
switching requires adopting some *other* target (via isolate), and deactivation
of all incompatible targets. Having no target active (isolated?) is not allowed.
In systemd language, isolate approximately equates to start some "target" plus
stop other target.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/