Re: [opensuse] Get an SSD just for swap?
  • From: Bob Williams <usenet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 18:42:04 +0000
On Mon, 27 Nov 2017 17:25:29 +0000
Mikhail Ramendik <mr@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 27 November 2017 at 17:15, Bob Williams <usenet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I think the problem of root filling up with snapshots is the fault
of snapper (an openSUSE program), not btrfs, even though the
snapshotting capability is provided by btrfs. Please don't blame
btrfs for problems not of its making.

But if I don't use snapshots, what's the point of having btrfs as
opposed to ext4? And on an SSD I just don't want any snapshots. I'll
do them in other ways and onto the HDD, not SSD.

You can use whichever filesystem you like. I just wanted to clarify that the
problem you described here:

After I was caught out during an upgrade with root full because of
snapshots, I don't think I will be using btrfs again, sorry suse.

was not a result of using btrfs, but a result of the snapper configuration.

Regards

Bob
--
Bob Williams