Re: [opensuse] OT: Strange Idea Proof of Concept
On 27/11/17 14:09, James Knott wrote:
On 11/23/2017 09:14 AM, Paul Groves wrote:
What ways are there that one would could use to achieve this?

Well, you could start with about 3000 floppies, to match the capacity of
a DVD. Next problem, where to buy them. I haven't seen them in stores
for quite a few years. Then there's the issue of many computers no
longer having floppy drives. I have a notebook computer, which I bought
6 years ago. It does not have a floppy drive.

These days, the better solution is to use a USB pen drive. They're
cheap, readily available and any computer built in the past several
years can boot from them. This will also be a *LOT* faster than
stuffing a huge stack of floppies into the drive.

I suspect dvd drives built in are a thing of the past too on laptops and notebooks. My experience of external dvd drives for such things is that they pretty much fall apart very quickly.

Even if you have a box with a working dvd drive I find burning the iso to a usb stick works much better and faster than a dvd. So thats how I do it. I can't remember the last time I saw a floppy drive or a floppy disc.