Re: [opensuse] Get an SSD just for swap?
On 27 November 2017 at 11:59, Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

That means I need a 64Gb SSD.
If you use btrfs, double it.

After I was caught out during an upgrade with root full because of
snapshots, I don't think I will be using btrfs again, sorry suse.

Besides, SSD is too expensive for snapshots. I could simply do a
manual snapshot to the HDD before large changes and perhaps cron it
once a month.

(But I do wonder how to create the right tar command that would not
attempt to tar /home and other mounted stuff and /proc etc. Advice
appreciated).

so thanks for telling me about what you do. I thjink I'll go for 64Gb.
32 for root, 20 for swap, and the rest for a user-accessible place
where I'll move stuff that needs speed (builds, some caches).

I don't want to move /home to a small 12G space, I'm used to throwing
stuff in /home without thinking of space. I'd rather have a fast place
where I'd eed to do something explicitly. Any advice where to mount
it? /vol/fast ?

--
Yours, Mikhail Ramendik