Re: [opensuse] Get an SSD just for swap?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 12:50:12 +0100 (CET)

On Sunday, 2017-11-26 at 20:48 -0500, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 26/11/17 05:18 PM, Mikhail Ramendik wrote:
As this is for swap only, I can get a cheap SSD (if it breaks I just
lose one session). I can get a 32Gb SSD for about 25 Euro, while an
extra 8GB of RAM would apparently set me back more like 50 Euro. But
will this work?

In those circumstances I'd go for more memory first.
late model Linux doesn't have a hard boundary between buffer space and program
space any more, so it figures out where best to use the memory according to
circumstances.

I went the exact same route as he, and I have noticed a huge speed improvement after placing swap on an SSD. It works, proven fact :-)

I have this instant 3.8G used swap.

Telcontar:~ # free -h
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 7.8G 3.5G 4.3G 53M 107M 899M
- -/+ buffers/cache: 2.5G 5.3G
Swap: 23G 3.8G 20G

Swap is used ONLY when there isn't enough memory.

And there isn't.

I'll grant you that maybe you'll still end up with not enough memory, but when
that happens to me I've always traced it to

a) a memory leak

No leaks. Just huge programs.

b) too many open ... whatever.

And I want all that open :-)