Re: [opensuse] Get an SSD just for swap?
On 11/26/2017 02:18 PM, Mikhail Ramendik wrote:
Hello,

I have a 8Gb Pengium G2120 system with a normal WD Red 3 TB hard
drive. Most of the time it actually does what I want just fine.

As this is for swap only, I can get a cheap SSD (if it breaks I just
lose one session). I can get a 32Gb SSD for about 25 Euro, while an
extra 8GB of RAM would apparently set me back more like 50 Euro. But
will this work?

I put swap on an SSD and I've never been happier.
And soon I'll be happier yet because Kernel 4.14 has changes that make this
even more advantageous.

I explained this in an earlier discussion here:
https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse/2017-09/msg00360.html

In there, among a bunch of links to other articles about swap on SSD
I stated:
I'm currently running 42.2 on a laptop limited to 4gig. I crank up the
swappiness (60) and crank
down the cache pressure (50).
I WANT it to swap. I want it to swap early and often

Swap doesn't HAVE to be reserved for ONLY when the system is out of memory.
You can adjust these
two settings to encourage swap use earlier, and discourage paging things back
in right away
until they are actually needed.

I've since cranked swappines up to 70.

I've never been more pleased with the performance of this old machine.

Soon as I get it to 4.14 I'll be happier yet, because swap is gaining a
multiple pointer system
into swap space, one for each core. See https://lwn.net/Articles/704478/
That means swap is not going to be a bottle neck any more.

The case for encouraging swap use is getting STRONGER, not weaker.
https://lwn.net/Articles/690079/

Don't be stingy when provisioning swap space on an SSD. SSD's need to be over
provisioned
to protect device life cycle. Got 8 gig of ram? 16 gig of swap is not too much.

If I had the right socket on all my boxes I'd get a good small SSD for each of
them.