Re: [opensuse] Get an SSD just for swap?
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2017 18:23:17 -0500
On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 5:18 PM, Mikhail Ramendik <mr@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

I have a 8Gb Pengium G2120 system with a normal WD Red 3 TB hard
drive. Most of the time it actually does what I want just fine.

Unfortunately, sometimes it starts to swap and then becomes very slow
immediately. I tried reducing swappiness to 10, now it starts to swap
in less cases - but when it does it basically hangs for a few minutes.

I can't afford a full upgrade (CPU. Mobo, RAM), especially with
current RAM prices. And I am not sure I should spend money on more
DDR3 RAM now, especially since I am not exactly sure if what I have is
DDR3 or DDR3L and how new additional RAM will affect the system.

So I wonder - would it help to get a small (16-32G) SATA SSD and use
it just for swapping?

As this is for swap only, I can get a cheap SSD (if it breaks I just
lose one session). I can get a 32Gb SSD for about 25 Euro, while an
extra 8GB of RAM would apparently set me back more like 50 Euro. But
will this work?

Be extremely careful about performance on low cost SSDs. I buy
SanDisk thumb drives routinely and they don't come close to matching
M.2 NVMe SSD speeds.

If you can get a high-performance 32GB SSD for 25 Euro, please let us
know. I will be surprised if you can.

Looking at Newegg, the cheapest M.2 NVMe SSE they have is about $50.
I would worry a lot about the performance of anything cheaper than
that.

Greg