Re: [opensuse] OT: Strange Idea Proof of Concept
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2017 21:55:23 +0100 (CET)

On Thursday, 2017-11-23 at 20:44 +0100, Markus Koßmann wrote:
Am Donnerstag, 23. November 2017, 14:14:57 schrieb Paul Groves:
Someone said to me the other day that it is possible to convert a linux
install ISO, such as openSUSE, Fedora or Ubuntu and put it on floppy
disks to install from directly with no CD.

If he said, it was possible , he would have been right. Indeed over twenty
years ago in then days of kernel 1.0.x , installation from floppy disks was an
option.
But nowadays there is one major technical problem with mainstream
distributions : Todays installation systems don't fit on one bootfloppy.

Neither did then in the day. One disk to boot the kernel, perhaps another for the kernel modules, then another (or more) for the install system. You are not limited to one.

I'm not even sure that the kernel must reside in a single floppy.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.

< Previous Next >