Re: [opensuse] OT: Strange Idea Proof of Concept
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2017 19:40:19 +0100 (CET)

On Thursday, 2017-11-23 at 16:58 -0000, Wols Lists wrote:
On 23/11/17 15:07, Carlos E. R. wrote:

Doing this for a recent distro? Would be doable, from scratch. I don't
know about "converting" or using the current iso generation methodology.

I *believe* a bootable CD still has a floppy image on it in a special
place, which is what actually boots. However, the image is probably too
big to fit on a real floppy :-)

Yes, "EL Torito".

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Torito_(CD-ROM_standard)>

I seem to recall a 2.8 MB size :-?
It is a semistandard floppy size. Ah, 2.88, listed here:

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floppy_disk#Sizes.2C_performance_and_capacity>

There is code in openSUSE to read or write such an image (geteltorito), and you can thus check what an openSUSE DVD contains. It does not appear in the normal listing of the DVD.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.