Re: [opensuse] OT: Strange Idea Proof of Concept
On 11/23/2017 07:21 AM, jdd@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Le 23/11/2017 à 16:07, Carlos E. R. a écrit :

Doing this for a recent distro? Would be doable, from scratch. I don't know about "converting" or using the current iso generation methodology.

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 6010632 22 oct. 20:40 vmlinuz-4.4.92-31-default

do not fit on a floppy. Don't know if it's still possible to compile a kernel unde 1.4Mo :-(

It was certainly possible under certain conditions. I remember using
the Linux Router Project (LRP) system for years, starting around 1998.
It was a stripped down kernel with Busybox that supported the ipchains
firewall system. It booted off a single 3.5" floppy and unfolded itself
into RAM (128-MB in this case). The box had only the floppy transport,
a motherboard, RAM, and two Ethernet NIC's. It had a vi-like editor,
sshd, and ssh. It would use rsyslog to export log entries. It was a dandy
system! If it ever became compromised (it never did) just reboot off of
the read-only floppy and unfold a new environment into RAM.

I also have a 3.5" floppy with a USB interface in my desk drawer. Haven't
used it in decades...

Regards,
Lew